Membership Dues and Categories
Persons who are engaged in activities in one or more fields of nuclear science and engineering or allied fields, and who shall meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Hold an academic or associate's degree from a recognized institution in the field of nuclear science or engineering or allied fields.
- Have not less than one year of responsible technical or scientific experience in the field of nuclear science or engineering or allied fields.
- Have a recognized record of attainment or leadership in some science, profession, or branch of industry relevant to nuclear science and technology.
Age 36 & over.
Age 35 and under or five years or less since graduation with a degree in the nuclear/engineering/allied field.
10+ years membership, age 60 and over, and retired.
Student members must be currently enrolled at least half time in one or more of the fields of nuclear science and engineering or allied fields in a school having, or eligible to have, a student branch of the Society, or in the Naval Nuclear Power School. Postgraduate and individuals employed full-time while pursuing a Ph.D. do not qualify for Student membership.Student memberships are not prorated. Students joining after July 1 are paid through December of the following year.
Honorary Life Membership
Honorary Life membership is available to individuals who have been ANS members for 40 continuous years and are retired.
|Membership with online access to Nuclear News|
|Printed copies of Nuclear News|
For a one-time fee, members can retain their ANS membership for life. Lifetime members will be sent a yearly statement to update address and membership information, order publications, and to make voluntary contributions to become an ANS Champion or to donate to the scholarship, NEED, and public education programs.
Add $70 yearly overseas postage for printed copies of Nuclear News magazine for members outside U.S., Canada or Mexico.
* Plus Entrance Fee: An entrance fee of $25 is required of all new members, as well as memberships that have lapsed longer than two years (reinstatements). Members who renew their memberships within a two-year time period are considered renewals. No Entrance Fee is charged to Students, Lifetime Members, or renewals.
|Pro-Rated Membership Cost|
Pro-rated Memberships: All memberships (excluding the student membership) are pro-rated based on a September 1st start date.
Interested in learning more about an organization membership? View the Organization Membership Information page for more details.
2019 Additional Publication Subscription Rates
When submitting an application for membership, all members have the opportunity to subscribe to additional scientific publications at a members-only discounted rate. Subscriptions cover the full calendar year and back issues are sent.
|Members Only||U.S., Canada, Mexico|
Nuclear Technology Journal *
Nuclear Science and Engineering Journal *
Fusion Science and Technology Journal *
Nuclear Standard News (online only)
* Print subscriptions include searchable online access.
Voluntary contributions to the following ANS programs are appreciated:
- ANS Champion Program: Patron, Benefactor & Advocate
- Public Education & The Center for Nuclear Science and Technology Information
- Scholarships for Economically Disadvantaged Students (NEED)
- Academic Scholarships
Is Your Spouse a Member?
ANS allows spouses who are current paid members of the Society the opportunity to replace one of their subscriptions to Nuclear News with another ANS publication. Contact ANS Membership for details.
New Member Packages
Applications for membership are processed as soon as payment is received. New member information is available online in the New Members section.
All memberships expire December 31st with the first renewal reminder sent in September. Please renew your memberships promptly to avoid discontinuation of service, elimination of member discounts, access to members only content on the website and mailings of Nuclear News magazine. If you were a member of ANS in 2016 or 2017, you can renew your 2019 membership online.
American Nuclear Society member dues are not used for contributions to political parties or candidates or for independent expenditures on behalf of parties or candidates. Less than 1/10 of 1.0% (or 0.1%) of dues money goes to lobbying efforts. In the case of someone at the $170 dues level, this would be 17 cents.
Contact Member Services at 800-323-3044, fax 708-579-8295 or via email.