Richard Meserve, who for more than two years chaired the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) Consensus Committee on Laying the Foundation for New and Advanced Nuclear Reactors in the United States, introduced its 300-page report on April 27 during a public briefing.
May 2, 2023, 12:00PMNuclear News
June 2, 2022, 9:30AMNuclear News
A Stanford University–led research article on small modular reactors published Tuesday in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is not sitting well with SMR developers or, for that matter, with much of the largely pro-SMR nuclear community.
February 23, 2022, 12:00PMANS News
ANS will host a virtual event titled “Perspectives from Past Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairs" on Thursday, February 24, from 1:00-2:00 p.m. EST.
The speakers: The webinar features four former high-ranking NRC leaders.
- William Magwood (moderator), Director-General, Nuclear Energy Agency, NRC Commissioner 2010–2014
- Richard Meserve, Senior of Counsel, Covington & Burling LLP, NRC Chair 1999–2003
- Dale Klein, Associate Vice Chancellor for Research in the Office of Academic Affairs, The University of Texas System, NRC Chair 2006–2009
- Stephen Burns, Senior Visiting Fellow, Third Way, NRC Chair 2015–2017
Register now. The event is complimentary and open to all.
January 21, 2021, 2:59PMNuclear News
Five former chairmen of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission—Stephen Burns, Allison Macfarlane, Nils Diaz, Richard Meserve, and Dale Klein—signed a letter to José Romero, Arkansas health secretary and chair of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) immunization advisory committee, requesting that the advisory committee update its recommendation for COVID-19 vaccine allocation guidance for the energy workforce (including nuclear energy workers).
Currently, the CDC has four phases for the COVID-19 vaccine rollout. Those phases are numbered:
- 1a (the current phase), reserved for healthcare workers and those living in long-term care facilities;
- 1b, reserved for people 75 years and older and frontline essential workers;
- 1c, reserved for persons 65 to 74 years old, those aged 16 to 64 who have high-risk medical conditions, and other categories of essential workers (this includes energy workers); and
- 2, for everyone else that was not named in the previous three phases aged 16 to 64.