Despite all the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. nuclear energy community pulled out some big wins in 2020, and this year could be even bigger, according to the Department of Energy’s Office of Nuclear Energy.
From deep space exploration on Mars to a historic new reactor coming online in Waynesboro, Ga., 2021 will be a record-breaking year for the industry—both good and potentially bad.
Find the full details on the DOE-NE website.
The list: With that in mind the agency released the top five nuclear energy storylines to follow this year. They are:
- Vogtle Unit 3 connects to the grid.
- NRC issues first SMR full design certification.
- Perseverance Rover lands on Mars.
- Establishment of a uranium reserve.
- License renewals and retirements.