The ANS Standards Committee is headed up by the Standards Board (SB). The SB consists of a Chair, Vice-Chair, at least 6 but no more than 12 Members-at-Large, and each Consensus Committee Chair as an ex-officio member (with voting privileges).
The scope of the ANS Standards Committee and the SB is as follows:
The American Nuclear Society Standards Committee is responsible for the development and maintenance of standards that address the design, analysis, and operation of components, systems, and facilities related to the application of nuclear science and technology. The scope of the Standards Committee includes the development and maintenance of standards on the following subjects and closely related activities:
- Definitions of terminology used in nuclear science and technology
- Siting requirements for nuclear facilities
- Nuclear facility design and operations, including safety criteria for facilities, operator selection, and training
- Power production reactors
- Research reactors and critical facilities
- Nuclear fuel production, handling, and storage facilities
- Facilities for handling radioactive isotopes, including remote handling of radioactive materials
- Remediation and restoration of sites used for nuclear facilities
- Emergency Preparedness
- Nuclear criticality safety
- Reactor physics and radiation shielding
- Computational analysis programs used in the nuclear field
- Probabilistic risk assessment, risk management, and risk criteria
- Fission product behavior
- Radioactive waste management
The Standards Committee does not develop standards for the application of radiation for medical purposes. The Standards Committee reviews standards being developed or issued by other organizations on related topics to help ensure consistency and completeness and to avoid duplication. Standards developed by the Standards Committee are intended to be issued as American National Standards.
Donald J. Spellman
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Steven L. Stamm
James K. August
Walter M. Justice, II
Herbert W. Massie, Jr.
Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Bd.
Caroline M. McAndrews
Southern California Edison
Charles H. Moseley, Jr.
Mathew M. Panicker
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
R. Michael Ruby
Robert D. Sachs
William M. Turkowski
Westinghouse Electric Co.
Edward G. Wallace
NuScale Power Inc.
Consensus Committee Chairs:
Robert J. Budnitz
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Robert D. Busch
University of New Mexico
Carl A. Mazzola
Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure, Inc.
Andrew O. Smetana
Savannah River National Laboratory
Standards Board Liaisons:
Richard K. Blauvelt
N. Prasad Kadambi
ISO TC85 Liaison
Stanley H. Levinson
Nuclear Energy Institute
Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
Last updated August 26, 2013, 8:57am CDT.