Here is a look back at the top stories of 2020 from ANS News. This is the last post in our series on the top stories from 2020. See below for links to other top stories from our Power and Operations, Research and Applications, and Waste Management sections of Nuclear News magazine.
- ANS convenes new task force on federal nuclear R&D funding: The American Nuclear Society has formed a Task Force on Public Investment in Nuclear Research and Development to assess the R&D needs of the U.S. nuclear technology enterprise and the federal investment required to meet those needs. The task force will identify the overarching objectives of U.S. nuclear R&D and identify specific metrics that can be used to evaluate progress toward those objectives. Read more.
- Kray signs MOU on future collaboration with NAYGN, NEI, and WIN: American Nuclear Society President Marilyn Kray announced the signing of a memorandum of understanding with other key nuclear organizations during the President’s Special Session of the ANS Virtual Annual Meeting in June. Read more.
- Dunzik-Gougar leads as new ANS president: Mary Lou Dunzik-Gougar is the 66th president of the American Nuclear Society. On June 11, during a meeting of the Board of Directors that was held virtually, the duties of president were officially transferred from Marilyn Kray to Dunzik-Gougar, who will serve a one-year term as president. Read more.
- ANS elections: Nesbit named VP/president-elect, Board seats filled: All the votes are counted and Steven P. Nesbit, an ANS member since 1989, has been elected the next ANS vice president/president-elect. Five candidates were elected to serve three-year terms as at-large members of the Board of Directors. Read more.
- ANS designates TFTR and FCF for landmark status: The Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor at Princeton University and the Fuel Cycle Facility (now known as the Fuel Conditioning Facility) at Idaho National Laboratory have been designated as ANS Nuclear Historic Landmarks. The official awarding of the honors occurred during the 2020 ANS Virtual Winter Meeting. Read more.
Here is more from the 2020 Top Stories menu: