Here is a look back at the top stories of 2020 from our Power and Operations section in Newswire and Nuclear News magazine. Remember to check back to Newswire soon for more top stories from 2020.
Power and Operations section
- Defense Department invests in three microreactor designs: Three reactor developers got a boost on March 9 when they each were awarded a contract from the U.S. Department of Defense to design a reactor that can fit inside a standard shipping container for military deployment. Read more.
- Santee Cooper, Dominion agree to pay $520 million in Summer suit: A circuit court judge on July 20 gave final approval to a $520-million settlement in a class action civil suit brought against Santee Cooper over alleged deceptive business practices involving the failed nuclear-expansion project at South Carolina’s Summer plant. Read more.
- Feds arrest Ohio lawmaker who pushed nuclear subsidy bill: Federal prosecutors on July 21 arrested the Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives, Larry Householder, and four lobbyists and political consultants for their involvement in an alleged $61-million corruption and racketeering scheme aimed at guaranteeing passage of H.B. 6, the Ohio Clean Air Program Act. The measure was aimed at rescuing Ohio’s Davis-Besse and Perry nuclear power plants from premature closure. Read more.
- Exelon to close Byron and Dresden plants in 2021: Exelon Generation, operator of the largest nuclear reactor fleet in the United States, intends to downsize that fleet in 2021 by retiring its Byron and Dresden plants. Exelon said that the two-unit Byron, located near Byron, Ill., would be permanently closed in September, followed in November by the two-unit Dresden, located in Morris, Ill. Read more.
- NuScale SMR receives NRC design approval: The final safety evaluation report for NuScale Power’s small modular reactor design has been issued, completing the design’s technical review and approval, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission announced on August 28. Read more.