- First advanced gas-cooled reactor is built in England.
- First nuclear-powered surface ship, N.S. Savannah, put to sea.
- The Advanced Testing Reactor at the Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory begins operation for materials testing and isotope generation.
- ANS begins collaboration with U.S. Atomic Energy Commission on monograph series, funded by AEC.<
- First U.S. large-scale nuclear power plant begins operation in Shippingport, Penn
- The International Atomic Energy Agency is formed with 18 member countries to promote peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
- ANS Standards Committee is formed.
Last updated June 1, 2012, 12:25pm CDT.