- President Ronald Reagan's administration lifts the ban on reprocessing used nuclear fuel and announces a policy that anticipates the need for a high-level radioactive waste storage facility.
- ANS's third journal, Nuclear Technology/Fusion (now Fusion Science and Technology) is started.
- President Reagan signs into law the Nuclear Waste Policy Act that governs underground disposal of high level waste.
- ANS News is published separate from Nuclear News.
- ANS releases (in November) its major report on source terms.
- Chernobyl accident occurs.
- ANS begins exchanges with USSR about reactor safety.
- Yucca Mountain in Nevada selected for study as first high-level nuclear waste repository site.
Last updated July 13, 2012, 2:19pm CDT.