The Blue Ribbon Commission on America's Nuclear Future Draft Report to the Secretary of Energy" (BRC) has been released for review and comment.
You can find it at this link: http://www.brc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/brc_draft_report_29jul2011_0.pdf
The report addresses seven key elements:
- A new, consent-based approach to siting future nuclear waste management facilities.
- A new organization dedicated solely to implementing the waste management program and empowered with the authority and resources to succeed.
- Access to the funds nuclear utility ratepayers are providing for the purpose of nuclear waste management.
- Prompt efforts to develop one or more geologic disposal facilities.
- Prompt efforts to develop one or more consolidated interim storage facilities.
- Support for continued U.S. innovation in nuclear energy technology and for workforce development.
- Active U.S. leadership in international efforts to address safety, waste management, non-proliferation, and security concerns.
The BRC is accepting comments on the draft report until October 31, 2011.
Your comments will be integrated into a response from the ANS. Please:
- Email your comments to: ANS President
- Start the subject line with the number of the Key Element on which you are commenting, e.g., "4 Reopen the Yucca Mtn Repository".
(If you wish to comment on more than one Key Element, please send separate emails, one for each Key Element.)
Please send your comments to be received no later than September 11, 2011 so that the volunteers can integrate and evaluate the various comments in time to meet the BRC deadline.