Information for Authors
Fusion Science and Technology, a research journal of the American Nuclear Society, publishes original research and review papers on fusion plasma physics and plasma engineering, fusion nuclear technology and materials science, fusion plasma enabling science technology, fusion applications, and fusion design and systems studies. Authors are encouraged to submit complete papers or work summarized in the Transactions of the American Nuclear Society and in other proceedings. Concise versions of detailed reports of limited distribution will also be considered.
Fusion Science and Technology publishes Technical Papers, Technical Notes, Critical Reviews, Book Reviews, Meeting Reports, and Letters to the Editor. Technical Notes report preliminary results and extensions of previously reported work. Technical Papers and Notes and Critical Reviews are reviewed for technical content. Letters to the Editor provide an expeditious medium for comments for editorial policies and for discussions on the content of other contributions.
Author rights under Copyright Law are transferable to the American Nuclear Society. These rights, as well as author responsibility for protecting proprietary and third-party rights, are specified in the author-ANS agreement to be made before publication. All materials accepted for publication are protected by copyright obtained by ANS.
Authors are informed of the partial cost of publication - reflected in a page charge based on manuscript length. Manuscripts accepted by the Editor are published without regard to page charge payment; however, this source of revenue is essential in maintaining the Society's journal publishing services. Publication of manuscripts unsupported by page charge payment is necessarily limited, and some delay in presentation may occur. The currently estimated compensation rate for the author-related costs of publishing is $165 per published page; however, authors who send in electronic versions of final accepted papers will be billed at $60 per published page. Please note that authors will be required to send these final files to email@example.com or upload them to the ANS/FS&T upload page.
Journal Editor and Associate Editors
Dr. Nermin A. Uckan, Editor, Fusion Science and Technology
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6169 USA
c/o American Nuclear Society, 555 North Kensington Avenue
La Grange Park, Illinois 60526 USA
Telephone: 708-579-8312; Fax: 708-579-8313
All communications should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Gianfranco Federici, Associate Editor
D-85748 Garching/Munich, Germany
John Fabian, Editorial Assistant
American Nuclear Society
555 N. Kensington Avenue
LaGrange Park, IL 60526
Telephone: 708-579-8254; Fax: 708-579-8313
Editorial Advisory Board
- Prof. Harald Bolt (EU)
- Dr. David J. Campbell (EU)
- Dr. Laila El-Guebaly (US)
- Dr. Jeffrey H. Harris (US)
- Dr. Charles E. Kessel (US)
- Dr. Myeun Kwon (KO)
- Dr. Wayne R. Meier (US)
- Prof. Farrokh Najmabadi (US)
- Dr. Jerome Pamela (EU)
- Dr. Juergen Rapp (US)
- Prof. Abhijit Sen (IN)
- Dr. Derek Stork (EU)
- Dr. Hideyuki Takatsu (JA)
- Dr. Neill P. Taylor (EU)
- Prof. Yuanxi Wan (CN)
- Dr. R. Scott Willms (US)
- Prof. Hiroshi Yamada (JA)
- Prof. Steven J. Zinkle (US)
Electronic Manuscript Submission System
Fusion Science & Technology uses an electronic submission and review system, Editorial Manager, for its journal submission system. Manuscripts are to be submitted electronically as either Word (or any common language, including TeX/LaTeX) or PDF files to: fst.edmgr.com.
If you are a first-time user: Go to fst.edmgr.com and click on the word "Register" in the navigation bar at the top of the page and enter the requested information. Upon successful registration, you will be sent an e-mail with instructions to verify your registration. NOTE: If you received an e-mail from us with an assigned user ID and password, DO NOT REGISTER AGAIN. Simply use that information to login. Usernames and passwords may be changed after registration (see instructions below).
If you are a repeat user: Please click the "Login" button from the menu provide at fst.edmgr.com and proceed as appropriate.
Authors: Please click the "Login" button from the menu and login to the system as "Author." You may then submit your manuscript and track its progress through the system.
To change your username and/or password: Once you are registered, you may change your contact information, username and/or password at any time. Simply log in to the system and click on "Update My Information" in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
Instructions for Manuscript Preparation
- The abstract should be typed on a separate page (complete with the title and names of the authors). The abstract should not contain Reference citations. The abstract should be brief.
- Authors should provide up to three (3) keywords at the end of the abstract.
- The text of a manuscript is to be organized into sections, with first-level headings (I., II., etc.) and second-level headings (I.A., I.B., etc.).
- Manuscripts must be typed, double spaced, with wide margins and indented paragraphs. Each manuscript must be complete with figures, tables, references, etc. The first page must contain the title, name and affiliation of each author, the name and complete mailing address of the person to whom proofs and the page charge invoice are to be sent, and a list of the total number of pages, tables, and figures. Please provide an E-mail address and/or a fax number. The second page of a technical paper and of a technical note must contain the abstract.
- SI units are preferred; other units may be used, but consistency in the manuscript must be maintained.
- Citations in the text to references shall be numerics strictly in order of their first appearance. Authors are referred to any regular issue of Fusion Science and Technology for formats. In particular, proceedings references must indicate the location and date of the conference, and references to reports must indicate the full name of the organization where the report was prepared. Also, authors are strongly encouraged to supply the full titles for the respective references. References must be listed in numerical sequence, double spaced, on a separate page. For more information view the ANS/FST reference style.
- Footnote citations in the text should be lower-case superscript letters. These footnotes, appropriately lettered and double spaced, should be listed consecutively on a separate page. Footnotes in tables are also cited by lower-case superscript letters. These footnotes should be placed underneath the table.
- Tables and Figures
- Tables and figures should be designed to fit one- or two-column widths (85 and 173 mm, respectively). The height of lowercase letters should not be less than 1.5 mm after reduction; thus, a figure or a table that must be reduced to one-third its original size should have lowercase letters at least 4.5 mm high. Tables must be numbered in Roman numerals in the order they are called out in the text. A title must accompany each table. Authors are strongly encouraged to submit figures in a high-resolution electronic format. Preferred electronic formats for figures include TIFF (line drawings at least 600 dpi, halftone or grayscale images at least 300 dpi); EPS (with embedded fonts); Postscript or PDF (with embedded fonts). Lines and rules in figures should be at least 0.5 points (half-point rules) with an absolute minimum 0.25 points. Figures must be numbered in Arabic numerals in the order they are called out in the text. A descriptive caption must accompany each figure.
Color figures will be placed online in the journal without an additional fee (print version will still be black and white). For black-and-white (grayscale) reproduction of color figures, a test printing should be done in black and white (light blue, yellow, and green neon colors are to be avoided) to ensure that no information is lost when printed in black and white. Two sets of figures can be submitted: one set for black-and-white printing and one set for the online color version. These need to be clearly marked. Figure captions should avoid reference to color. Should an author want color in print, prepayment of the costs associated with color print will be required, after obtaining approval from the journal editor (current cost estimated at $525/page).
- All mathematical equations should be carefully checked to ensure their correctness. Equation numbers should be Arabic numerals enclosed in parentheses to the right of the equation.
- Proofs of all material except letters to the editor will be supplied. Proofs are to be read carefully and all printing errors corrected; however, alterations from the original text that cost more than 10% of the composition costs will be charged to the author.
- Hard-copy reprints may be purchased at any time via our contact form.
Last updated June 20, 2016, 10:14am CDT