ANS Celebrates Nuclear Science Week! October 14-18, 2019
Nuclear Science Week (NSW) invites people from all over the globe to “Get to Know Nuclear” and participate in a week-long celebration that advances education, stimulates participation and generates communication that provides insight and visibility for the achievements of the nuclear sciences.
ANS has supported Nuclear Science Week since its inception in 2009. We also offer assistance to our Local and Student Sections through grants and donations.
- The annual Nuclear Science Week Public Information Assistance Grant program provides cash assistance to two or more grant recipients. This year the Chicago Local Section and University of Maryland Student Section were awarded grants to help fund new NSW initiatives.
- ANS also donates printed materials to national members and provides vintage Geiger counters to educators through teacher workshops.
Navigating Nuclear Graduates to High School for Nuclear Science Week
The Navigating Nuclear: Energizing Our World™ high school curriculum launched October 14, just in time to join NSW celebrations. Navigating Nuclear is a nuclear science educational program that launched in 2018 beginning with middle school resources. It was created by the ANS Center for Nuclear Science and Technology Information in conjunction with Discovery Education™. The high school curriculum is being funded by the Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy, as is an elementary school curriculum to be launched in 2020.
Navigating Nuclear resources are available free of charge on navigatingnuclear.com.
ANS Local and Student Sections support NSW enthusiastically. Here are just some of the events planned by our Local and Student Sections.
- ANS Chicago Local Section will be part of numerous events scheduled for the week, including a local Scarecrow Festival Oct 11-13 in St. Charles, IL, and a Back to School STEM Fair (Sponsored by Chicago ANS, NA-YGN & Generation Nation) at West Aurora High School on Saturday, October 19 from 10am to 1pm, with a focus on careers in nuclear.
- The University of Maryland and the Northeastern New York section are among many sections hosting nuclear science scout workshops.
- University of New Mexico is celebrating all week long with themed events including, What is Nuclear Day, Careers in Nuclear Day, Chernobyl Discussion Day, and NWS Social Night at a local restaurant.
Be sure to tweet at us (@ANS.org) and show us your best way to celebrate #NuclearSciWeek! Be part of the conversation!